Thursday, January 6, 2011

Don’t call them resolutions

I’m not a believer in resolutions, but when it comes to my knitting, I do like to look back over the year, consider what I did and didn’t knit, and form some – let’s call them intentions for the coming year.

First, the numbers. I started 18 projects last year, and finished 15. Darn, I’d hoped to break even – unfortunately that means the WIP count went up, not down.

Of those 15 finished projects, 6 were shawls. I made a half-hearted attempt at 10 shawls in 2010 (which has now morphed into 11 shawls in 2011) – literally, knitting these 5:

shawls-2010

I also finished Girasole, which was begun in 2009:
P1430749

Nothing wrong with any of those – I love both the knitting and the wearing of shawls. But here’s the thing – the remaining 9 finished projects were all small: a cowl, three hats, two pairs of mittens, two neckwarmer-scarves, and this tiny thing, possibly my favorite project of the year:


I didn’t finish a single sweater (thankfully I started only one). There was no colorwork whatsoever. And looking over it all, there wasn’t much challenging knitting in 2010. I was coasting a little. So here are the intentions:
  1. Finish a sweater or two – or more. These two are 80% done so I really should finish those first. Next on the list (unless something changes) are Shalder, the Lite Lopi Pullover, and Bruegel. None of them would require buying yarn.
  2. Knit a little for needy strangers – I wrote about that here.
  3. Knit some colorwork. I’m close to having yarns collected for a stranded colorwork shawl along the lines of Kaffe Fassett’s Persian Poppies or this one by Christel Seyfarth. This sweater is also calling to me, and I have the perfect yarn for it:

    olive-branch312

    Joyce Williams’ Olive Branch sweater, from Armenian Knitting. Were I to knit this, it would be the first one on Ravelry – that’s always kind of fun. On the back is a gnarled olive tree. For a more realistic project – the Caller Herrin’ hat is in my plans.
  4. Knit some more of my handspun. Miralda’s Triangular Shawl and half a scarf were my only handspun projects last year. It’s satisfying to wear handspun handknits, plus you learn so much about your spinning from knitting with it.
  5. Try some new techniques and a complicated design or two, for a challenge. I want to knit a two-end project, my first pair of gloves with fingers, and my Bohus Blue Shimmer cuffs. I'm knitting my first two-color brioche project (the Geveldak scarf) and it's a lot of fun - I'd like to do more of that. Plus there should be at least one complex lace pattern this year.

Oh my – long list. And I’ve totally ignored the fact that my first grandchild arrives in April, so baby knitting is also on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment